Matwork Level 1 – San Francisco, CA – February 3rd & 4th 2018
Please note: The dates for the above course have now changed and it will instead be taking place on March 17th & 18th
One of the world’s most popular Pilates training programs! APPI Pilates teaches you a fully integrated Matwork Pilates program that can be used in any clinical setting, without the need for specialized equipment. This highly popular matwork training series, delivered throughout the world, is dedicated to detailed and accurate Pilates teaching.
Based on the most up to date evidence of spinal stability, pelvic stability, strength and conditioning and pain—this is the essential Pilates training tool for all health professionals. The APPI have analyzed all 34 traditional Matwork exercises, and broken them down into a step-by-step guide from day 1 Pain, right through to elite level sport. Most importantly, every stage has a clinical reason as to why you would choose that exercise for your client.
APPI’s Matwork Level 1 course is the first step in the matwork certification series and gives you the skills to begin delivering 1:1, clinically reasoned, Pilates based treatment plans for your clients.
During this course you will be given the essential, fundamental knowledge to begin offering Pilates to clients recovering from back pain and other injuries. Drawing upon relevant clinical research, this course provides an evidence based approach to teaching Pilates in the clinical setting.
During the course you will:
- Develop a solid foundation for Pilates teaching using the five key Pilates elements of the APPI Pilates approach.
- Learn a variety of beginner level movements addressing lumbo-pelvic stability, postural education, correct movement patterning and body awareness.
- Review recent research on spinal stabilisation and pelvic stability and apply this to the APPI beginner series of Pilates movements.
- Be taught sixteen movements for training lumbo-pelvic, scapulo-thoracic and cervical stabilisation through a mixture of observation, self-participation and practice teaching.
- Discuss the clinical application of the Pilates movements at the time of their teaching to greater understand how these can be applied to patients and clients after the course.
- Review case studies and design and discuss your own treatment plans.
Following this course you will be able to:
- Describe the history of Pilates
- Develop a foundation for APPI Pilates training through a strong understanding of the 5 key elements
- Relate relevant scientific evidence to the APPI Pilates Method
- Apply beginner level static and dynamic APPI Pilates exercises for lumbopelvic, scapulothoracic stabilization and sports rehabilitation training
- Use visual imagery to improve their Pilates teaching
- Apply different forms of Pilates cueing and communication necessary to optimize learning
- Compare the differences between beginner level and intermediate level APPI Pilates Matwork classes
- Identify how to analyse and assess the deep neck flexor muscles and incorporate this into Pilates teaching
- Distinguish the 9 contraindicated Pilates exercises and why they are inappropriate for the clinical population
- Use beginner level Pilates rotary stability and mobility exercises
- Apply the 5 stage APPI Pilates Rehabilitation Model to treatment plans
- Identify specific areas requiring improvement for their own Pilates self-practice
- Design a clinically reasoned and appropriate Pilates programs for clients
Book for 3 people or more on the same course and receive a 15% discount. Email firstname.lastname@example.org for all group bookings.
The complete address and location of your course will be provided in a confirmation letter that will be emailed to you at least 3 weeks before the course.
This course is open to:
- Physical Therapists
- Physical Therapist Assistants
- Athletic Trainers
- Exercise Physiologists
- Certified Strength and Conditioning Specialists
- Personal Trainers
- Certified Pilates Instructors
- Occupational Therapists
- Occupational Therapy Assistants
- Third Year Physical Therapy Students
Physical Therapists/Physical Therapist Assistants
This course is approved for 14 continued education hours by the following:
- Physical Therapy Board of California
- Texas Board of Physical Therapy Examiners
- Minnesota Board of Physical Therapy
- Maryland Board of Physical Therapy Examiners
- State of Illinois Department of Financial & Professional Regulations (Sponsored by Global Healthcare Education)
Many other states may accept credits awarded by the above state boards. Please check with your state licensing board to determine whether the course qualifies for credit in your state.
Please note that due to the changing nature of state continuing education requirements, APPI suggests that you contact your state physical therapy association or licensing board for the most current information on continuing education and other rules and regulations.
APPI is Board of Certification, Inc., (BOC) Approved Provider. This course has been approved for 14 continued education hours for Athletic Trainers. BOC Approved Provider number P10086.
Personal Trainers/ Certified Strength and Conditioning Specialists
APPI courses are not automatically approved by the NSCA, however if you would like to attend this course and require NSCA CEUs please just contact us a minimum of 4 weeks prior to the course and we will be happy to assist you.
‘The ACSM Certification & Registry Department will recognize CECs, CMEs or CEUs awarded by other professional health and fitness or clinical organizations for attending their programs without it being pre-approved or endorsed by the ACSM Education Department. These are considered “non-ACSM endorsed programs.” You must obtain documentation from that organization verifying attendance and the number of CECs earned.’
If you require accreditation through another governing body or within another state, or require any further information please email email@example.com
‘It helped me look for subtle corrections in exercises I already use and gave me another perspective about incorporating breathing.’ Torrance CA Oct 2017
‘I learned a lot and challenged my way of thinking, teaching, and cuing.’ Cupertino, CA July 2017
‘I liked how applicable the exercises are to a general orthopedic patient population.’ Cupertino, CA July 2017
‘I learned how to modify known exercises for my patient base and how Pilates has changed since the last time I regularly took a class.’ Cupertino, CA July 2017
‘I learned so much about myself and movement by taking this course, which will help me with understanding what my patients feel when I’m teaching them proper exercise techniques.’ Torrance, CA July 2017
‘I leaned not only a lot of new skills to carry over into my practice, but I also learned a lot about my own personal strengths and weaknesses.’ Torrance, CA July 2017
‘Lots of variations to modify and challenge exercises’ Torrance, CA July 2017
‘I learned a totally different approach to working with all patients, not just back pain but a range of diagnoses and whole body treatments and testing. Very useful.’ MW1 – Boston, MA July 2017
‘I loved this course. I will be able to apply the information immediately to to my clinical practice. It is great that it is sculpted to help the average physical therapy patient.’ MW1 – Palo Alto, CA Apr 2017
‘One of more informative courses I’ve taken in my 22years of practice as it relates to relative and practical strategies that can be brought back to the clinic .’ MW1 – Palo Alto, CA Apr 2017
‘I cannot quantitate the amount I learned but I can predict that every future patient I have will benefit from the knowledge I gained in the past 2 days.’ MW1 – Fort Worth, Mar 2017
‘I learned so much in this course. It made me rethink how I have been approaching my treatment of patient, particularly those with low back pain.’ MW1 – Fort Worth, Mar 2017
‘I enjoyed the continuous focus on clinical reasoning, ways to change exercises for certain compensation patterns, and research base behind the development of the exercises for a patient level.’ MW1 – Minneapolis, Mar 2017
Neither the APPI nor any of its International Representatives, course organizer or hosts, accept any responsibility for any bodily harm that may arise during or after attendance on APPI courses.
APPI Training Courses
Please Note: All APPI USA courses are purchased through APPI USA’s license holder Global Healthcare Education.
Fees: Fees for courses will include tutorials, manuals, morning and afternoon tea and a certificate of attendance. APPI USA takes no responsibility for any additional costs incurred outside of the fees charged.
Matwork and CPD Cancellations and Transfers: Cancellations and transfers are accepted with written notice 14 days prior to the start date. There is a $60.00 admin fee per cancellation or transfer. Participants are allowed to transfer twice, after which no refunds will be given. Once you are within 14 days of the course start date, no cancellations, transfers or refunds will be permitted.
Equipment and Reformer Series Cancellations and Transfers: Cancellations and transfers are accepted with written notice 14 days prior to the start date. There is a admin fee of 20% of the original payment per cancellation or transfer. Once you are within 14 days of the course start date, no cancellations, transfers or refunds will be permitted.
Insufficient funds: A $30 fee will be charged for invalid cheques or declined credit card transactions due to insufficient funds.
3rd Party Payments: If a third party is responsible for payment, the attendee space on the chosen programme will not be confirmed until full payment has been received by APPI USA. Only once full payment is received will the confirmation letter be sent out to the delegate and their space reserved.
Pregnancy Guidelines: In the first trimester, all courses should be suitable for an uncomplicated pregnancy. This is providing that you exercise pre-pregnancy and have discussed this with you GP / Midwife. However, with the exception of our Ante & Post Natal course, we would generally recommend against participating in courses after the 1st trimester, as you will not be able to experience all the movements yourself during this time.
Please view our full pregnancy guidelines by clicking here or by visiting our resource centre.
Photo/Video Release: APPI will occasionally have photographs and/or promotional videos taken during the event for use in print and electronic marketing materials including (but not limited to) brochures, advertisements, newsletters and the APPI and other associated websites. APPI retains the full rights to use these materials in promoting and marketing all courses, workshops, future conferences and any other APPI events not mentioned herein.
Cancellation by APPI: In the case of minimum course participant numbers not being achieved, APPI reserves the right to cancel courses/training programs at any given time. In this event full refunds will be given.